Wednesday, July 7, 2010

St. Paul, MN

What a long haul from PA to MN.  Took me about 25 hours in all.  I was driving the truck and spent over 2 or 3 hours of that time pumping gas, going through weigh stations and getting my DOT annual inspection done.  The drive was absolutely beautiful.  PA has so much greenery.  Since it was so humid there, the colors in the early AM were outstanding, foggy and quiet.  The air so fresh.  But dang, what a long state!  I skipped through Ohio without stopping once.  (Yay for HUGE gas tanks in my truck.)  And made it to Chesterton, IN where I walked into dusk between hundreds of lightning bugs.  Oh how I love lightning bugs.  :)  I stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn, where I discovered that Hilton's really are SO much better than Marriott's.  The bed was like heaven.  I got in and didn't want to get out.  The paper products and towels are so much softer and fluffier.  The colors are less vibrant, which, when I'm on the road, I find quite nice for a bedroom.  I was exhausted from my drive.  It's amazing what driving takes out of you.  The stress of driving such a huge machine is enormous.  The tension I find in my back after such a long drive is frustrating and exhausts me even more.  The Hilton was very, very welcome that night.
Tuesday I hopped back in the truck and drove through Chicago traffic in Illinois, the entire state of Wisconsin and into Minnesota.  What a lovely drive.  Again, so green.  And so many farms out here.  I'm always reminded how much space we actually have on this Earth still.  It sometimes boggles my mind as to why so many of us are living in the North East where there is no space.  The drive from NYC to Boston has become city practically the entire way.  There are no drives like this one over there.  Don't get me wrong, I do love the North East and feel I belong there, but the space out here is just phenomenal.  It wakes me up and reminds me what I'm out here teaching people.  Save this stunning Earth.
Once I checked into my hotel in Eagan, MN I, again, went straight to sleep.  I'm a big time Marriott Rewards member (this being my 4th year staying with them), so my entire team and I got an upgrade on our rooms.  We stayed in a double suite, two floors, an extra bed in the wall, a huge living room, dining room, kitchen, two full-baths and a loft for my sleeping space.  It was a treat for us all.
Wednesday, I woke early and got about 20 things done before 2pm.  I wanted a little free time before we headed to set up the next day.  I finally got it.  Honestly, I think this was the first time I was able to actually enjoy myself entirely with absolutely nothing on my agenda.  It felt good.  I sat outside (yes, OUTSIDE!!!  The heat is NOTHING out here compared to where we've been - 80's) and read my book, wrote in my journal and breathed.  As the sun set, I went back to my room and practiced deep Kripalu Yoga in my spacious suite and enjoyed a homemade dinner.  Lexi and I found a local grocery store and a farmer's market thanks to Jason (last year's Kashi Operations Manager).  The food was superb.  I had a delicious burger with unbelievable tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and cheese with a plate of baked yam "fries" (we have an oven here too), all local and organic.  Seriously, a partay in my mouth.  SO GOOD!!!!!!!
Thursday we spent most of the day setting up.  And I booked a ticket for next week's couple days off to visit Brandon in the big, big city.  :)
Friday - Monday was our event.  Whoo!  Longest event we'll have.  We got through it with flying colors.  Dave was with us, which is always a treat for the tour.  Lexi's birthday was on the 4th.  We had a little partay in my huge room.  Set off fireworks in the street while drinking dirty martini's and beer to celebrate Lexi's 25th birthday.  Fun!
Our days were long and warm, so most of the time we played it pretty cool.  The event was loud and rather obnoxious (3 stages playing the same sets over and over day by day), but we did what we came for and got out a little early on Monday because it poured.  I was a little nervous about the electricity and puddles in my tent, not to mention wet people's fingers fiddling around with our touch screens.  So, I pulled the plug a little early to get us out of there safely.  It was definitely a good call, because it poured throughout the evening.  Getting the trucks out Tuesday AM was a little tough because of all the mud that was created.
Off to Madison, WI.

No comments:

Post a Comment