Wednesday, June 9, 2010

St. Petersburg, FL

On my way to Florida, I stopped in Paris, KY to meet Brandon's family and see his hometown.  What a beautiful place.  Kentucky is truly a hidden treasure.  I drove by green, green farms and beautiful horses.  I stopped at Brandon's Dad's home and had a nice long visit with them.  They loved the Kashi and Burt's Bees.  And I loved being able to spend some time in someones home as opposed to a hotel room.  They are such good, kind people.  I see a lot of Brandon in his family.  We stopped by his grandmother's home to say hello and I ended up meeting a few more family members that stopped by to visit her as well.  I really enjoyed my time with them all and hope to make it back to that part of the country again sooner than later.  I realize more and more how fortunate I am to have Brandon in my life with all that he brings along with him.  :)
My drive to Florida was LONG!  I spent the night in Macon, Georgia and could feel the humidity getting thicker and thicker.  By the time I arrived in Florida I couldn't drive with the windows down anymore.  Just stepping out of the car seemed like a huge effort.  My body would break into a sweat after standing for 2 seconds.  Ugh.  It's unbelievable.  I don't know how anyone lives down there and why anyone would be crazy enough to try.  It's just dreadful.  And is so much work for the body, going from freezing AC inside to 110 degree heat and humidity outside.  We all felt like we were getting sick near the end of our 5 days there.  Although, I was looking forward to working outside just for purifying reasons - all that sweat.  Sure do have to drink a lot of water.  And I thought Cincy was bad!!!
The event went very well.  Saturday was a super hot day to spend outside in the direct sun.  We had 4 women faint within our little footprint and lost a local staff to dehydration.  My goodness!  I was very nervous about the staff the whole weekend, including myself.  I've never drank so much water and not had to use the bathroom.  That's pretty scary.  And the later in the day it got the hotter it got.  I had a hard time watching all these people outside drinking beer instead of water and seeing their babies in strollers sitting in the direct sunlight sweating like crazy with no water in sight.  What are people thinking?!  I think the whole crew ended Saturday with heat exhaustion and sunburns.
We ended one of our evenings in the VIP tent drinking free beer and watching the band America followed by Huey Lewis and the News who came to perform Friday night.  What great entertainment.  That was a special treat for us all.
Come Monday morning we got out of Florida as fast we we got in.  Monday we hit the road, headed north!  All screaming with glee to leave Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment